Calming your disinhibited emotions
With ADHD we are less able to regulate our emotions, their impact is often more profound from elation to despair and anger, having a simple, quick and effective technique to reduce and handle these reactions can be very helpful
Gary Craig developed EFT, based on acupuncture concepts, believing that tapping in sequence on key points that relate to emotions would help manage emotional reactions. The approach is to identify the experiences or issues underpinning these reactions and to build a descriptive phrase for the issue, then to tap.
The EFT procedure
- Identify the problem – focus the mind on the problem if it is simple or choose an aspect of it such as a thought, belief, emotion, memory or physical symptom if complex
- Rate the intensity of the problem from 1 = no problem really to 10 = the worst imaginable
- Repeat this statement 3 times:”Even though I have this … (describe the problem in detail e.g. “this fluttery anxiety I feel in my chest about the speech at the conference tomorrow”), I completely accept myself”. While repeating the statement, continuously tap firmly on the fleshy part of the outer aspect of the palm with the fingers of the other hand
- The Tapping sequence: Tap relatively firmly, but not enough to hurt or bruise, about 8-10 times on each of the following points:
- Top of head…Inner eyebrow…Side of eye…Under eye…Under nose…Chin… Under arm … Collarbone.
- Each time you move onto the next point repeat a short reminder phrase (e.g. “this anxiety about the speech”). Cycle this sequence at least 2-3 times
- Rate problem: After a few deep and calming breaths, take a moment to stop and reassess the intensity of the target problem. If the distress is still present but less intense, repeat the above process but this time refer to it as “this REMAINING….” (e.g. “this remaining anxiety about the speech”) in both the statement and the reminder phrases. If the problem seems too large, then simply address one aspect of the issue. Once that aspect is resolved move on to the next.
There is plenty of free information on EFT on the Internet, such as here at EFT universe that offers information and links to many other EFT sites.